[image credit: Netflix]
Team Friendship Reviews Anne with an E! In this special episode of the Team Friendship Podcast, we review the first episode of the Netflix Original series. Having grown up loving the 1985 television movie adaptation of L. M. Montgomery’s beloved book, Anne of Green Gables, we were intrigued by this new adaptation written by award winning writer, Moira Walley-Beckett. Whether you have watched the series or if you are unsure about whether or not to watch, we would love to have you listen to our thoughts on the first episode of Anne with an E.
- Lauren loves to look behind the scenes!
- Anne with an E actually aired in Canada on the CBC as a weekly show prior to coming to Netflix under the title Anne the Series.
- Canada has fully embraced the attention that Anne of Green Gables has brought to their country and specifically Prince Edward Island.
- Does anyone remember the show Avonlea? Lauren loved this show as a younger girl!
- This isn’t R.H. Thomson’s first time in Avonlea.
- There is all kinds of Anne of Green Gables out there for ya.
- We find out that Mandy has actually completed something in her life!
- Moira Walley-Beckett’s inspiration/idea for adapting Anne of Green Gables for television.
- “Taboo” conversations
- We talk about the “f” word: Feminism
- Lauren hates politics
- “There is no polyester in this show”
- What does “darker” mean?
- Mandy’s quote of the episode: “It’s not Tim Burton.”
- Good rule to follow: Watch the show first and then decide if it is appropriate for your own child. Every child is different, and every family is different.
- Lauren makes up her own statistics
- Mandy’s going to get wild and crazy at the Barnes and Noble
- We love the music from this show!
- Our initial thoughts on Amybeth McNulty as Anne
- Mandy relates to Anne…because Mandy is Anne. LOL
- Many girls auditioned for the part of Anne
- The strange thing Amybeth had to do as part of her audition
- The chapters of the book that season 1 covers
- R.H. Thomson: a pretty big deal in Canada!
- Leah admits she had to warm up to R.H. Thomson, but he won her over in no time!
- We love how heartwarming Matthew is.
- The very real fears and reservations that come with adoption
- Geraldine James’ fun connection to Star Wars. Now Lauren loves her even more!
- The quote from the book about Marilla that we believe is the inspiration for Moira Walley-Beckett to explore more of Anne’s back story in this series.
- Babar and Corner Gas
- Rachel Lynde is more “likable” in this series
- We have no idea how to pronounce Aymeric Jett Montaz’s name…but we LOVE him!
- Diana Barry and Guinevere
- The decor’ in Green Gables is totally “in” right now
- Mandy’s favorite part of this episode: The whole thing
- Let her keep the blossoms!
- We discuss where the episode strays from the book
- Seamless flashbacks
- Lauren wants everyone to love Anne with an E!
- We address the negativity about this series a little bit
- We’ve recruited several people to start watching this series.
- Send us your thoughts on Anne with an E. We’d love to hear what you think!
Links related to this episode
Interview with Amybeth McNulty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GW5u73M2vQ
Interview with Moira Walley-Beckett and Amybeth McNulty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjgnAec1hlk
Short behind the scenes video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFaQpQm5xLE
Link to purchase the complete works of L.M. Montgomery on Amazon for Kindle: http://amzn.to/2rJEJB5
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.