This episode is dedicated to all those who have lost someone very dear to them. ♥
In this episode of Team Friendship Reads the Newberys, we review the beloved classic Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson. In the words of our friend, Benji from Goodreads:
“Even when you know that it’s coming, even when you’re completely and totally prepared, it destroys you and leaves you an emotional wreck.”
Yes, Benji, yes. So grab a box of tissues and join in our conversation!
- We apologize for the audio quality of this episode. Lauren forgot to switch from her laptop microphone. We promise the next episode will be better!
- For the Love of Books! Leah is done with romance, Mandy has purchased some more books that will look pretty on her bedside table, and Lauren is lacking motivation.
- Per usual, Mandy looks for book news as we record
- Katherine Paterson is awesome
- References to Narnia and other fantastical books
- We discuss the profanity used in this book
- “What was your response to Bridge to Terabithia?” “Tears. Lots of tears.”
- Lauren goes on a rant about how girls can like Star Wars too!
- Let’s cut Jess’s parents a break
- Tissue break!
- Surprise puppies!
- Jess’s loneliness
- Mandy is in pain
- Another tissue break!
- Imagination helps us escape from the harshness of reality
- Growing up too soon
- Using your pain to help others around you
- A good rule to follow: just be kind to people
- Fear that paralyzes and fear of judgment
- It’s okay to be afraid, and it’s okay to ask for help
- Our thoughts on death, loss, and grief
- Sometimes you just need to stand there and cry
- Tissue break #3!
- When we experience loss and trauma, we can be a help to others who go through loss
- Building the bridge: share memories of those we have lost. Take the good they have given to the world and pass it on.
- Tissue break #4!
- Guilt and God’s sovereignty
- Listener feedback
- Newbery honor books from 1978 and the scandalous story about one of the authors
- Leah and Mandy help Lauren decide which book to read next.
Links related to this episode:
Amazon link to purchase Bridge to Terabithia – http://amzn.to/2rISFXj
Ramona and her Father – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/91247.Ramona_and_Her_Father?ac=1&from_search=true
Teen author of book on mental health – http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/12/teenager-writes-childrens-book-about-mental-health-after-battle-with-anorexia-6703227/
Wonder film trailer – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngiK1gQKgK8
Katherine Paterson’s website – http://www.readingrockets.org/books/interviews/paterson
Amazon link to purchase A Wrinkle in Time – http://amzn.to/2sKTtQk
Mandalay – https://www.instagram.com/mandymalay/
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.