In this episode of Team Friendship Reads the Newberys we discuss the 1936 Newbery Medal winner Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink! Grab a grande cup of coffee and a bag of Snickers and journey back with us to life on the Wisconsin frontier in the 1860’s!
- Mandy takes a break from her vacation to record this episode with us.
- We share what books we have been reading and are currently reading.
- Books News!
- Mandy shares her experience trying to find Caddie Woodlawn at Barnes and Noble.
- Team Friendship sells the Newberys?
- We discover that Leah’s information on Carole Ryrie Brink is not quite accurate.
- Team Friendship field trip to Caddie Woodlawn’s Farm!!!
- We discuss how the themes in this book are very advanced for it’s time.
- Mandy’s review of this book: “It has a good flow.”
- Snapshots of childhood
- Turkey for days!
- Lauren shares her true feelings about Caddie’s mom
- We need more men like Caddie’s dad
- Caddie’s kindness and selflessness toward the Native Americans
- There is more than one way to be a lady
- Dealing with the loss of a sibling/child
- Kindness toward younger siblings
- Racism and what can happen when we allow fear to foster hatred
- Lauren’s clumsiness
- Nero’s Journey
- Dealing with stress as a child
- When our help is not actually helpful/attempting to “American-ize” the rest of the world
- Lauren is intimidated by technology
- More technology = less privacy
- This book gets two fist bumps from Mandy
- Comparing Caddie Woodlawn to The Little House on the Prairie and American Girl books.
- Lauren lists the Newbery Honor books from 1936 that lost to Caddie Woodlawn.
- We announce our next book! This book is our first listener recommendation!
Links related to this episode:
Amazon link to purchase The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls – http://amzn.to/2yjT1rN
Amazon link to purchase Wonder by R.J. Palacio – http://amzn.to/2ylV6n6
Amazon link to purchase Wishtree by Katherine Applegate – http://amzn.to/2Ay3otC
Amazon link to purchase Solo by Kwame Alexander – http://amzn.to/2Av6UVk
Katherine Paterson’s new book! http://www.candlewick.com/cat.asp?browse=Title&mode=book&isbn=0763695084&pix=y
Kwame Alexander’s new Facebook show Bookish – https://www.facebook.com/BookishShow/
Caddie Woodlawn’s Home – https://midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/family_friends/travel_with_kids/caddie_woodlawn.html
Our personal contact info:
Mandalay – https://www.instagram.com/mandymalay/
Lauren – https://twitter.com/Graciefirstborn
Intro Music: “Feeling Good” by Royalty Free Copyright Music